14-Day ~ South America Knitting Cruise (Nov 2015)
Holland America Line
November 8, 2015
November 22, 2015
South America Knitting Cruise (Nov 2015) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
14-Day South America Knitting Cruise w/ Sally Melville & Mary Scott Huff & Peru Fiber Adventure
We call South America the fiber-lovers, nature-lovers, food-lovers and scenery-lovers dream destination! Here you'll find luxury fiber and color inspiration everywhere you look. Additionally, you can taste sizzling steaks, savor fine wines, see spectacular scenery, walk amongst penguins and see some of the most sensual dancing in the world. Start your trip with an optional 4-day pre-cruise tour of Buenos Aires where you will visit shops with floor-to-ceiling shelves stocked with everything from natural local yarns to some of the most unusual acrylic specialty yarns you'll ever see. Stay at a boutique hotel in one of the popular barios for which Buenos Aires is so famous. Board the gorgeous ms Zaandam for a trip along the stunning coastlines of Uruguay, Argentina and Chile.
South America is home to yarn companies producing some very gorgeous yarn including Araucania, Abuelita, Manos, Malabrigo and Aslan Trends among others. Yarn is produced throughout South America and producers have achieved success by using traditional methods for dying to showcase their color expertise. Yarn shopping and fiber activities abound on this itinerary but some of the main fiber attractions on this cruise include visiting a Manos cooperative farm outside Montevideo for dyeing demonstrations, touring the dye room at Malabrigo and shopping for yarn at their factory, visiting the flagship store for Abuelita and shopping for Araucania yarns in Santiago. The visit to Montevideo will be a trip highlight. Here you can shop for popular Uruguayan yarn brand Manos of Uruguay at their lovely store, learn why Abuelita Yarns are so soft and, if time permits, visit the store carrying the largest selection of Malabrigo Yarn in Montevideo.
The on-board education program includes a range of classes taught by Sally Melville, known for her highly-wearable innovative garment designs and Mary Scott Huff, expert at fair isle knitting and creator of a number of charming fair isle patterns. Take such popular classes as Essential Skills, Two Colors Two Hands, Knit to Flatter and Fit, Exploration of Buttonholes and Emergency Measures with Sally Meliville. Or Elegant Entrelac, Knitting Behind the Wheel, Mad Hatter and Start to Finish with Mary Scott Huff. Whether you take classes or just come along for the fun, this cruise is going to be a trip to remember with incredible scenery, amazing people and experiences unique only to the Patagonia region of South America.
2015 South America Knitting Cruise Highlights
- Shop for yarn in the Buenos Aires yarn district where you'll be overwhelmed with block after block of yarn shops stocked with yarn from floor to ceiling
- Tour Malabrigo and see where this beautiful yarn is created and shop at factory prices
- Visit a cooperative and learn how women have banded together to translate their knitting and spinning skills into sustainable incomes
- Shop at Mundolana in Montevideo for Manos del Uruguay yarn and garments
- Get up close and personal with a penguin
- Visit Lanas Chucao in Puerto Montt, Chile, and learn about dyeing yarn using native plants and weaving using traditional Mapuche methods
- In Santiago, shop for gorgeous hand-dyed yarns in vibrant colors made by the popular South American yarn company, Araucania
- Extend your South American fiber adventure to include magical Peru where you can visit knitting villages and Machu Picchu
- Enjoy some of the best Peruvian cuisine while shopping for yarn at outlets selling Peru's finest yarn