7-Day ~ Alaska Knitting Cruise (July 2014)
Holland America Line
July 20, 2014
July 27, 2014
Alaska Knitting Cruise (July 2014) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
7-Day Alaska Knitting Cruise w/ Gwen Bortner
Seattle Convenience! Join fellow knitters on an Alaskan voyage that will go beyond your imagination. Cruising out of Seattle is easy, affordable and is truly spectacular. Imagine the sparkling city skyline with snow-capped Cascade Mountains in the background, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker and Mt. St. Helens towering in the distance and Olympic Mountains bidding you a farewell as you cruise out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. July is the best time to experience this cruising area because summertime is when the days are long and warm, the snow-capped mountains and volcanos are out in all their glory and the wildflowers are in full bloom.
On this knitting cruise you will witness expressions of nature that will put you in touch with some of the most powerful forces of life on our planet. The spectacular scenery, majestic mountains, fascinating wildlife and stunning glaciers will thrill you and our onboard class program will motivate you to take your knitting to the next level. When not knitting you will be enjoy cruising by forested isles, seeing icy-blue glaciers and exploring charming frontier ports onboard all while being pampered onboard one of Holland America Line's most beloved ships, the ms Amsterdam.
This cruise features an extensive onboard educational program taught by Gwen Bortner, who is an extremely talented knitting instructor. Gwen loves teaching and traveling and is looking forward to sharing her joy of knitting with every knitter who comes on this cruise. Gwen Bortner is passionate about teaching and about helping others thoroughly enjoy knitting by gaining confidence through learning and by helping knitters continually add tools to their knitting chest of tools. Gwen teaches knitting as well as how to succeed in the knitting business. Gwen believes success revolves around being passionate about teaching and takes every opportunity to share her love of knitting with others.
Cruising out of Seattle will give knitters from across the country and from around the world the opportunity to experience one of the most livable cities in the United States. Come early to allow time to shop for yarn at Seattle's numerous yarn shops, have a fabulous Pacific Northwest salmon dinner, visit Seattle's new Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit and take in the top sights of this iconic city.
Cruise Highlights - Alaska Knitting Cruise w/ Gwen Bortner
- Private Yarn Shopping Event at Churchmouse Yarns near Seattle
- Scenic cruising in Tracy Arm Fjord, ranked Alaska's # 1 scenic area, with its numerous waterfalls, green forests, blue glacial ice and steep granite cliffs
- Fiber processing demonstrations at Raven Frog Fibers in Sitka w/ visits to both the Raptor Rehab Center & Fortress of the Bear
- Enjoy a trunk show of a variety of samples knit from locally dyed yarn at Seaside Yarns in Juneau
- Meet local artists, enjoy live music, have lunch and shop for yarn, beads and art at The Point Art Cafe in Ketchikan
- Learn about the Coast Salish knitters of the Cowichan Valley and Vancouver Island and shop for Cowichan hand-knits in Victoria, British Columbia
- Shop at the largest yarn store in the entire Pacific Northwest, Beehive Wool Shop in Victoria, British Columbia