14-Day ~ Baltic Knitting Cruise (June 2016)
Holland America Line
June 19, 2016
July 3, 2016
Baltic Knitting Cruise (June 2016) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
Join fellow knitters on an inaugural sailing aboard the brand new Koningsdam cruising to some of the best ports of call in the Baltic sailing round trip from Amsterdam for 12 nights June 19-July 3, 2016. This knitting cruise visits such great places as the Germany, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Sweden and Denmark. While the ship is at sea the onboard educational program will feature classes taught by Galina Khmeleva and while in port you will have the opportunity to shop for yarn and connect with local designers and knitters. We invite you to pack up your needles and come along for some fun in one of the best cruising regions for knitters, with a great knitting instructor on a gorgeous new ship.
Northern Europe is home to many leading-edge designers and has some of the most notable yarn stores in Europe. Our onboard knitting instructor will be Galina A. Khmeleva, knitting extraordinaire. Galina Khmeleva is very passionate and knowledgeable about Russian lace knitting and the history of this region. Cruising this region with Galina is particularly special since she grew up in post-WWII Leningrad and has gained much respect as one of the world's leading experts and historians on Orenburg knitted lace.
All of the countries visited are all well known for rich having rich knitting traditions. Estonia, in particular, is often a favorite destination and is well known for its Estonian Folk Art and Craft Union, Eesti kasitoo, For years, Craft Cruises has been bringing groups of knitters on knitting cruises to Estonia to visit the shops of this non-profit organization. The Estonian Folk Art and Craft Union brings together organizations and individual craftsmen and craftswomen in an effort to preserve and develop traditional Estonian hand crafts to not only keep this part of their culture alive but also to serve as a source of income and subsistence for Estonian craftspeople throughout the country.
2016 Baltic Knitting Cruise Highlights
- Visit Stephen & Penelope's new shop in Amsterdam or Weldraad, Amsterdam’s leading yarn shop for natural fibers produced using environmentally-friendly processing methods
- Shop at Sommerfuglen, the largest yarn store in the Denmark and enjoy a trunk show with Bente Geil
- Take a historical walking tour of Copenhagen and have lunch at Cafe G, a popular hangout for local knitters
- Shop for kits by popular Danish designers such as Marianne Isager & Hanne Falkenberg at prices well below those of the US
- Take the train into Berlin or stay in the quaint port town of Warnemunde where you can walk on the beach, eat fish and chips with a pint of beer or take the train to Rostock to shop for yarn at at Prunkist
- In Estonia experience the coolest "Old Town" in modern Europe, Tallinn, which has retained its medieval character and is home to some of the best design studios and art galleries in Europe
- Shop for locally produced lace shawls and a wide range of knit-wear at the Estonian handwork union craft guild stores
- Enjoy shopping for linen and wool yarn at the lowest prices in the region at one of Tallinn's yarn shops
- Explore the treasures of St. Petersburg including the Hermitage, Church on Spilled Blood, Pushkin Palace, Catherine's Palace among others
- In Helsinki visit Menita, the largest yarn store in Finland
- Shop for 100% Finnsheep wool dyed naturally with plants and mushrooms from Leena Riihivilla's open air stand at the waterfront market
- In Kiel connect with designer Martina Behm for a trunk show of her work including the popular Hitchhiker shawl
- Enjoy a sit & knit with local knitters in Gothenburg at the cafe inside the local library