16-Day ~ China, Korea, Japan Knitting Cruise (Mar 2016)
Holland America Line
March 31, 2016
April 16, 2016
China, Korea, Japan Knitting Cruise (Mar 2016) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
16-Day China, Korea & Japan Knitting Cruise w/ Gayle Roehm and Lily Chin
Join Gayle Roehm and Lily Chin on Holland America Line's beautiful ms Volendam where you will cruise in style and comfort for 16 days to some of the best ports in Asia. Have fun taking classes onboard with Gayle and shopping for yarn with Lily in port. Participants will enjoy meeting local knitters and seeing the sights while enjoying the great company of other knitters throughout this wonderful journey.
Cruise from Hong Kong to Yokohama, Japan and explore some of the most fascinating and ancient civilizations in the world with rich textile and knitting cultures all their own. On this cruise you will enjoy learning more about cultures quite different than our own, shopping for yarn and making new friends. This cruise is well balanced with time in port to explore and time at sea to relax and learn new knitting skills. This cruise journey begins in pulsating Hong Kong where you'll get to see the sights, watch a spectacular light show, meet a group of local English-speaking knitters and shop to your heart's content before embarking on your cruise.
The ms Volendam is one of Holland America Line's smaller ships and is a favorite among repeat passengers. Cruise to such interesting places as Shanghai, Dalian, Beijing, Seoul, Nagasaki, Kobe (Kyoto) and Yokohama (Tokyo) on this cruise itinerary. Maximize your time in port with private Craft Cruise tours including stops at cashmere markets and all the best yarn shops. Visit Japan's cultural capital, Kyoto, where you'll learn about Japanese traditions, visit the textile art center and shop for Japanese yarn at Habu Textiles’ only retail outlet in Japan. After the cruise spend a few extra days in Tokyo where participants will have the opportunity to tour the Nihon Vogue knitting school, which has been a highlight in the past.
Take such popular classes as Understanding Japanese Knitting Patterns, Challenging Stitches from Japanese Designs, Knit a Japanese Sock, Using Japanese Stitch Dictionaries, Lace Stitches from Japan and Getting Started with Japanese Crochet. In the evenings learn about the work of a number of important Japanese designers while knitting in style onboard a lovely ship as you cruise between fascinating ports.
2016 China, Korea and Japan Knitting Cruise Highlights
- Take a tour of the popular Kowloon Markets with a local guide and go yarn shopping in Hong Kong
- Meet local knitters at a sit and knit in Hong Kong followed by the choreographed laser-light show "A Symphony of Lights" over Victoria Harbour
- Spend two fabulous days in Shanghai exploring with Lily Chin to get an in-depth tour of the Shanghai Cashmere Wool Markets. Your time in Shanghai will be maximized by combining opportunities for sightseeing as well as shopping for gorgeous yarns of exceptional quality at the lowest prices you could ever imagine. Some of the Chinese yarns you'll find include Shokay Yarns and Heng Yuan Xiang Wool as well as a variety of exotic yarn such as blends including bamboo, yak, otter and even possum
- Visit Beijing on an optional overnight private Craft Cruise tour where you will maximize your time seeing the sights and shopping for the most luxurious yarns produced in China - Shakun China Cashmere under the label of Lotus Yarns
- In Kobe, take a private Craft Cruise tour to Kyoto, Japan's cultural center. Kyoto is most known for its traditional Japanese architecture and flowering trees where visitors discover the "real Japan." Partake in a tea ceremony, learn about ancient culture, visit the geisha district and Habu Textiles’ newest store
- Extend your stay in Tokyo to visit the Nihon Vogue knitting school and other knitting places of interest with Japanese knitting expert Gayle Roehm