12-Day ~ Celtic Adventure Knitting Cruise (July 2017)
Holland America Line
July 30, 2017
August 11, 2017
Celtic Adventure Knitting Cruise (July 2017) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
12-Day Celtic Adventure Knitting Cruise w/ Beth Brown-Reinsel
Beginning and ending in Copenhagen this 12-day Celtic adventure sails from July 30 - August 11, 2017 aboard the ms Zuiderdam. This cruise visits many beloved ports in this region including Portree, Belfast, Dublin, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Kristiansand. Take in the beautiful scenery, shop for yarn and enjoy a variety of knitting classes led by popular knitting instructor, Beth Brown-Reinsel. Beth specializes in popular techniques from this geographic region and will be teaching three of her most popular classes onboard including Fair Isle Tam, Traditional Gansey Techniques and Norwegian Mittens.
The ports on this itinerary are known for rich history, scenic beauty, rare breeds of sheep, and shops selling high quality knitting yarns, as well as many fiber related places of interest. Take a tour of a spinning mill at a World Heritage Site, enjoy traditional high tea, see special fiber demonstrations such as spinning and weaving and learn new knitting techniques while being pampered onboard the beautiful ms Zuiderdam. For knitters who want to see this part of the world, this is a great opportunity. For those who enjoy learning about local knitting culture and knitting techniques this is a must-take trip.
2017 Celtic Adventure Highlights
- Before the cruise take an optional historical walking tour of Copenhagen's historical core.
- Shop for yarn at Rasmilla and Sommerfuglen in Copenhagen.
- Visit the Isle of Skye's Shilasdair dye-house and yarn shop in the scenic Highland area of Northwest Scotland.
- Visit a working croft on the Isle of Skye, Eilean Òir Croft, and learn about raising Hebridean and Black Cheviot sheep in this harsh environment.
- Take an optional excursion to Lisburn outside Belfast to visit the Irish Linen Centre and trace the history of linen production from the earliest times to the present with the 'Flax to Fabric: the Story of Irish Linen' exhibit and see live spinning and weaving demonstrations.
- Have a pint of Guinness at The Crown Pub, one of the most famous in the UK.
- Enjoy traditional Irish tea in the medieval section of town at The Constant Knitter yarn shop in Dublin.
- In Dublin meet local knitters and designers, possibly including Kieran Foley.
- Visit Liverpool, home of the Beatles!
- Tour the New Lanark Mill and World Heritage Site learning the history of the town, see wool spun, shop for yarn and have traditional high tea with a little free time in Glasgow afterwards.
- Shop for souvenir yarn at Ginger Twist Studio and Kathy's Knits in Edinburgh
- Enjoy a walking tour of Kristiansand with Ã?se Helene Williamson where she'll point out her yarn shop, Langfeldt Garn as well as the other yarn shops in town.
- Have a cup of the freshest seafood soup in Norway at the Kristiansand Fish Market, the most popular destination in port.